Friday, July 30, 2021

How can you?

I too worry that there might have to be a strong tyrannical government to overcome the decades of anti-wealth-sharing propaganda that has good people like you accepting harmful ideas. Dematerialism has no way to create such a government; so, it must seek another, presumably democratic, way. Tonight I ran into a computer pop-up that said merely “Press here to get rid of ads” This shows that the purveyor knows I may not like the ads which offend my taste and which promote destructive consumerism. If I press that radio button, they will immediately charge my google account, though they don’t say so. An honest person might be ashamed to say “I will not annoy you with ads if you pay me”; so, instead, in the normal exercise of capitalism, he charges me according to dishonest and deceptive practices. How can you support an economy that inculcates such wicked deeds?  In my passages on axiomatic morality, we are left with a dilemma as to how to formulate morals or laws; but it's probably safe to say that any system that is chosen will discourage dishonesty and deception.

No comments :

Post a Comment